About the Radiologic Technology Department
- Prepare individuals for entry level radiologic technology practice as radiographers with knowledge and experience in the specialized areas of radiology.
- Deliver a competency based curriculum and instructional delivery system, which stresses the application of theory to the realities of the clinical setting.
- Develop habits of critical thinking and scholarship that leads to effective practice.
- Provide the foundational knowledge and experience in various healthcare settings for the development of effective communication skills.
- Assist students in internalizing the values, attitudes and professional behaviors necessary to promote the standards of the profession.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Associate of Science Degree program in Radiologic Technology will:
- Be prepared for their first position in the field.
- Be skilled practitioners producing diagnostic images with regard to patient care and radiation protection practices.
- Be able to improve their practice through a process of discovery, analysis and application.
- Be capable of communicating effectively in personal and professional interactions.
- Possess professional behaviors that contribute to professional excellence.
The successful learner is someone who possesses a positive attitude and is an active participant in the educational process. Cooperation between instructor and student must exist in order to develop an atmosphere of open communication and trust. The educator is a facilitator of knowledge, functioning as a role model to the student. It is the student who must be responsible for assimilating the knowledge imparted by the faculty and applying it in a competent manner. Success in the program is dependent upon the student's degree of commitment, self-motivation and dedication to this learning process.
Throughout the program, students are encouraged to recognize their limitations and to view these limitations as being only temporary. Knowledge is gained by the student through a correlation of technical, general education and clinical conduct, as well as academic performance. It is our belief that to be a viable member of the health care team, the student must develop radiographic expertise, a process of critical thinking, a compassionate and caring nature and a desire to serve others.
The faculty of the Department of Radiologic Technology provides the foundation upon which students will build their careers and strive to fulfill their professional goals and objectives. Growth and expertise following graduation is dependent upon the graduate's desire to seek education on a continuous basis. Thus, it is our endeavor to graduate students who value the importance of professional growth through further education and development.