Warren W. Pryor
Assistant Professor of Biology
Warren Pryor teaches Marine Biology Lab, Comparative Anatomy, Vertebrate Physiology, Principles of Biology I, Experimental Design & Research Methods, Special Problems in Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, and Biological Field Studies. Mr. Pryor specializes in research on freshwater ecology and invites undergraduates to participate research under his direction. He posts periodic updates about the activities of his students and himself on his blog.
Mr. Pryor spent the first 18 years of his career in zoos and aquariums, first as an aquarist at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo, and then as an animal curator at the Fort Wayne Children's Zoo. He has travelled to places of particular biological interest including the rainforests of the Olympic Peninsula, the rocky coast of southern California, the Galagpagos Islands and several times to Australia.
Mr. Pryor has logged hundreds of hours as a certified SCUBA diver, is an avid sailor, and enjoys boat building and knitting.
- MA, Biology (Thesis Track), University of Nebraska at Omaha - 1988
- MS, Marine Biology, Florida Institute of Technology - 1982
- PADI, Basic SCUBA Certification, #84229344, 1984 to present
- Freshwater mussel ecology
- Public aquarium management
- Freshwater Mollusk Conservtion Society
- American Association of Zookeepers
- Pryor WW, Morris DJ & Simmons LG. 1988. An evaluation of supplementing bacterial filtration with algae scrubbers in a recirculating marine aquarium. Zoo Biology 7: 281-288.
- Pryor WW. 1991. Care and display of the Jamaican fruit bat (Artibeus jamaicensis) at the Fort Wayne Children's Zoo. AAZPA 1991 Regional Proceedings, pp. 746-752.
- Pryor WW. 1995. Measurement of biomass and growth in quahog clams with notes on thei captive husbandry. 1995 AZA Regional Conference Proceedings, pp 123-128.
- Mohan, PJ and Pryor WW. 1996. Effects of specialty aquarium lamps on protein and photosynthetic pigment concentrations in the rock anemone, Epicystis (=Phymanthus) crucifer. (Poster) Annual AZA Conference proceedings. Waikiki, HI. Sept. 17-21. p 399.
- Pryor ww. 1998. Enexpensive respiration rate measurement in captive pimpleboack freshwater mussels. 1998 AZA Regional Conference Proceedings, pp 313-316.
- Pryor WW & Piropato C. 1999. the Worms! Exhibit at the Fort Wayne Children's Zoo. International Zoo News 46: 147-153.
- Pryor WW. 2000. Size distribution of a population of giant floater mussels (JPyganodon grandis) in Bowman Lake, Allen County, Indiana. Drum & Coaker 32:20-22.
- Firchau B, Pryor W & Correia J. 2004. Census of elasmobranchs in public aquariums. In: The Elasmobranch Husbandry Manual: Captive Care of Sharks, Rays and their Relatives, pp. 515-519.
- Pryor WW. 2005. Distribution of the native freshwater mussels in the rivers of Allen County, Indiana. www.sjrwi.org/documents/PryorWDistrbNatvMusslAllenCo.pdf
- Pryor WW.1990. Changes in tentacle and column length of the symbiotic sea anemone, Aiptasia pulchella, during the light portion of the photoperiod. Presented at the Regional Aquatics Workshop, Saint Louis Zoo.
- Pryor WW. 1990. Changes in tentacle and column length of the symbiotic sea anemone, Aiptasia Pulchella, during the light portion of the photoperiod. Presented at the Regional Aquatics Workshop, Saint Louis Zoo.
- Pryor WW. 1997. Wild urban clams; The freshwater mussels of Allen County, Indiana. Poster Presentation at 1997 AZA National Conference.
- Obringer A, Lund A, Pryor W, Crichton E, Loskutoff N, & Kirchner E. 2002. Sex and the devil: Monitoring reproductive activity in the Tasmanian devil (Sarcophilus harrisii). Abstract in Program of the Indiana Academy of Science 118th Annual Meeting, p 106.
- Pryor WW. 2003. Population biology of the pimpleback mussel, Quadrula pustulosa (Lea, 1831), (Bivalvia Unionidae) in the Saint Joseph River, Allen County, Indina from 1997- to 2002. Abstract in Program of the Indiana Academy of Science 119th Annual meetin, p 99.
- Pryor WW. 2004. Population biology of Quadrula pustulosa at Johnny Appleseed Park. Presented at the Great Lakes Mollusk Watchers' Conference, Porter, Indiana.
- Pryor WW. 2006. Sediment analysis in the Saint Joseph river. Seminar Presentation to the Science Faculty and Students of the University of Saint Francis. goodman SS, Gillespie RB & Pryor WW. 2007. Assessment of freshwater mussel communities in Cedar Creek, norheast Indiana. Abstract in Program of the Indiana Academy of Science 123rd Annual Meeting, p 54.
- Tracy SJ, Smith HN, Heyerly AL & Pryor WW. 2007. Investigation of the thermal environment of freshwater mussels in northeastern Indiana: A preliminary report. Abstract in Program of the Indiana Academy of Science 123rd Annual Meeting, p 55.
- Pryor WW, Morman RE, Wire KR, Baumgartner JM & Meier AH. One hundred years of unionoids: replication of the 1908 survey of freshwater mussels of Allen County, Indiana. Poster at Indiana Academy of Science, 124th Fall Meeting, October 23-25, 2008, University of Evansville.
- Morman RE, Baumgartner JM & Pryor WW. 2009. Mussel community trends in the Saint Joseph River (of the Maumee): Annual surveys at Johnny Appleseed Park. Presented at Indiana Academy of Science, 125th Fall Meeting, October 22 & 23, 2009, Indiana University Kokomo.
- Baumgartner JM, Morman RE & Pryor WW. Spatial difference in community composition of unionids of the Saint Joseph (of the Maumee) at Johnny Appleseed Park. Presented at the 22nd Annual Butler University Undergraduate Research Conference, Indianapolis, IN.
- Morman RE, Baumgartner JM & Pryor WW. 2010. Ecological physiology of Lampsilis siliquoidea (Bivalvia: Unionidae) in Crooked Lake, Whitley County, Indiana: A priliminary analysis. Poster at Association of Franciscan Colleges and University, at University of Saint Francis, Fort Wayne, IN.
- Morman RE & Pryor WW. 2010. Distribution and habitat characterization of unionids in Crooked Lake, Whitley County, Indiana: A preiminary report. Presentation at the 4th Annual Meeting of the Ohio Valley Unified Malacologists, 6 November 2010 at Ohio State University.
- Gleason C. Morman RE, Wright AE & Pryor WW. 2011. Thermal Environment Fluctuations of Unionids of Crooked Lake, Whitley County, Indiana, August 2009-July 2010. Presentation at the OVUM Meeting, 1 October 2011 at the Thomas Moore College Field Station, California, KY
- Taylor A, Pryor W & Geyer A. 2012. Investigating food energy availability to Lampsilis siliquoidea: combustion analysis of plankton in Crooked Lake, Indiana. Poster presentation at the Regional Chemical Society Meeting, Midland Michigan, October 2012.
- Taylor A, Geyer A, Wright A & Pryor W. 2012. Preliminary atempt to determine the food available to Lampsilis siliquoidea (Bivalvia: Unionidae) in Crooked Lake, Whitley County, Indiana. USF Science Seminar, 21 September 2012.
- Wright A & Pryor W. 2012. Freshwater mussel respirometry studies performed on Lampsilis siliquoidea of Crooked Lake (Whitley County, IN). Presentation at Ohio Valley Unified Malacologists (OVUM) meeting, 6 October 2012, Fort Wayne, IN.